Thursday, April 2, 2015

White on black


As a part of my recent class assignments, I have been trying out drawings in white charcoal. And here is one that I really liked. I loved the way the vertical white lines give the violin a woody texture, and how the bright of the white charcoal in the violin strings seems to glint in the light.

The Violin (White charcoal on black paper)

I used Generals white charcoal pencils on Strathmore Artagain black pad - the black pad is a gorgeous black, and the white charcoal pencils were a charm to use.

One challenge I have been facing has been the question of preserving this drawing. Whenever I have tried fixative spray in the past (and I have tried both the workable fixative as well as the permanent kind) , it has caused my white charcoal to turn bluish/greyish, and also eventually fade. Which is weird, because it totally defies the purpose of using a fixative! Feedback and any suggestions to preserve the drawing are very welcome.

No comments: